Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn and the end of days #1
Genres: young adult, dystopian, romance
Length: 8 hrs 46 min
Narrator: Caitlin Davies
My rating: 5 stars
Synopsis (from Goodreads):
It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.
Wow. WOW. Reading much hyped books seem to be paying off lately for me, and Angelfall is no exception. To be perfectly honest, I did not expect to like this one so much. Angels aren’t high on my list of favourite fantasy creatures, and what little experience I had with them so far hasn’t been all that great (looking at you Halo & Unearthly) but this book was AMAZING. It seriously has EVERYTHING I want in a good YA book.
1. Kickass heroine? Check. I was fully invested Penryn as a character from the first page. She’s kickass, sassy and matches Raffe in every way. She deals with a lot throughout the book, but keeps moving forward and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for her.
2. Swoony and sarcastic hero? Check. I loved Raffe so much. His swoony and sarcastic, and his banter with Penryn was hilarious. I could seriously quote them all day.
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status.”
“Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”
3. Crazy action from the first page? Check. The book starts off with a bang and never lets up. No filler or boring parts here.
4. No love triangles? Check. YES. Fantasy without a love triangle. Always a relief for me. The potential is there in the future, but I really hope this series doesn’t go there. Please tell me it doesn’t go there.
5. No insta love? Check. The romance develops at a snail’s pace, it’s barely there for now. Again, this is just fine with me. Penryn and Raffe were never boring, and I didn’t mind the slow development. They have a lot to hash out even without the very forbidden nature of their relationship, and I suspect it will take some more time for them to fully come to terms with their own feelings.
6. Creepy villains? Check. We only get glimpses of the villains and their big plan for now, but I already love to hate them. Hope Raffe kicks some angel ass in the next book.
7. Crushing ending? Check. I already knew from reviews that something bad was going to go down towards the end, but it didn’t really make it any easier when I got there. 😦 Trust me, it will have you reaching immediately for the sequel. Good thing it’s been released already. 🙂
Favourite Penryn quote (this one made me laugh out loud):
I grab the sudsy shirt out of the gray water and throw it at her.
It makes a plop noise when it lands on her face, wrapping around her hair. Her perfect hair clumps into a stringy mass, and her mascara smears as the cloth slides wetly down her blouse. She emits a high-pitched squeal that turns every head within earshot.
“Oh, I’m sorry,” I say in a sugary voice. “Did you not like that? I thought that’s what you wanted. I mean, why else would you be putting your paws on my man?”
This book even has a scorpion fetus or two. Yes, it’s exactly as disgusting as it sounds.
Overall, I’d say it truly deserves all the hype it gets, and I highly recommend it to everyone looking for an action packed read with great characters. I WANT WORLD AFTER NOW!!! (I’m reading Cress first though.)
Great narration, can’t really say much else about it.